Friday, April 26, 2013

The Consult

On Wednesday afternoon Nate and I made our journey to Hudson to see the doctor known in my area as the 'VBAC King.' Let me tell you he was like no other OB I have ever met in my life, but I'm getting a little ahead of myself now aren't I. So on the way there I started to get nervous. I'm not quite sure about what. I've heard great things about this man for years, but I think being told I could never have a vaginal birth is something that holds a lot of fear over me. I knew though that I had to get another opinion and if it was in his opinion that it couldn't be done, then I would learn to accept that I was one of the 1%.

Upon arrival they tried to get us to pay an absurd amount of money because of our high copay. I reminded them that he wasn't even my doctor yet and this was a consult, but this was not the way I wanted it to start with Nate. He is already concerned about the ordeal and the extra money is on the top of his list. We made a list of questions in the waiting room and when my name was called I'm pretty sure my blood pressure when through the roof!

We all sat down and Dr. H explained to us that although he couldn't guarantee a VBAC, he has over an 80% success rate (unheard of!!) and has seen multiple women with my same story become a success. He told us that as long as baby and I were okay he had no issues of us going past 42 weeks and that he wants it to be as natural as possible. MUSIC TO MY EARS! I have never been so relieved to find a provider that is on the same page as me. I feel as if last time, I had to educate my practice as to what hypnobabies was and I had to fight to put off my c/s even though I knew baby and I were okay. I think that is the biggest misconception in ob care is that we take the first number on the list. We don't interview providers like we do pediatricians and such to find the one that best suits us.

After the meeting was over it was so great to hear the positivity in my husbands voice. He needed to hear that from a doctor. Now I just need to convince him it isn't that far! Dr. H did say he would still take me as a patient if I wanted to split my prenatal care with a provider closer to me, but as of yesterday it doesn't sound like my current OB practice is up for it. Oh well! One step closer in the right direction! Now to meet with our doula this week! EEEK! I'm so excited to meet her!
 
Oh and here I am on Wednesday 17.1

 

2 comments:

  1. You're so right about not interviewing OB's like a pediatrician. I chose mine based on convenience (location) and first available to see me! It was a group practice and fortunately I have had no issues with the office, but I didn't even get recommendations from friends. Never have. :/

    Too bad your current OB isn't on board with splitting prenantal care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny isn't it when you actually think about it!

      I'm hoping to call and talk to someone else at the practice and see if they are on board. Little Miss Thang seemed to not be in a great mood, so maybe someone else will.

      Delete